Data centre connectivity is crucial for several reasons:
- Performance: A well-connected data centre such as Stellium offers efficient, high-speed global connectivity which ensures faster data transfer, low latency, and high performance. This is vital for businesses as it enhances user experience and productivity.
- Scalability: Businesses grow and change over time, and their technology needs change along with them. Good data centre connectivity allows for easy scaling of resources, so the organization can quickly adapt to increasing data or network demands.
- Redundancy: High-quality data centre connectivity often includes built-in redundancy, ensuring there’s no single point of failure. This redundancy can help to minimize downtime, which is critical as even a few minutes of downtime can result in significant financial losses. One of the reasons high frequency trading and financial companies choose Stellium as their data centre operator of choice is because we provide some of the best low latency connectivity available from any data centre in the UK.
- Reliability: Reliable connectivity ensures that businesses can operate without interruption, as it guarantees a steady connection with minimal downtime.
- Security: Data centres are designed to be secure facilities, both physically and digitally. The data passing through their networks is often encrypted for further protection. Secure connectivity ensures the data transmitted to and from the data centre remains confidential and unaltered.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity: With proper connectivity, data centre can provide robust disaster recovery solutions. If one data centre fails or experiences an outage, data traffic can be redirected to another facility, thus maintaining business continuity. Stellium is certified ISO 22301:2019, Business Continuity Management. ISO 22301 recognises organizations such as Stelliums Newcastle data centre that have planned, established, implemented, operate, monitor, review, maintain and continually improve a documented management system to protect against, reduce the likelihood of occurrence, prepare for, respond to, and recover from disruptive incidents when they arise.
- Access to Cloud Services: Many modern applications and services are hosted in the cloud, so robust data centre connectivity is essential for accessing these resources. Stelliums customers have access to leading public cloud services from AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Oracle and IBM as well as private loud services from Aspire Technology Services.
- Global Reach: Good connectivity also means being able to connect to other data centres and networks around the world. This is important for businesses with a global presence or those that require international data and application access. Stellium is the secure UK cable landing station (CLS) for the new international subsea fibre cables from Aqua Comms (to/from the USA), and the new subsea fibre cables from Altibox/NO-UK (to/from the Nordics and mainland Europe), as well as the home of the UK’s newest Internet Exchange Point NCL-IX. The cable landing stations are located within our highly secure data centre, making us unique in the UK.
In a world that’s increasingly reliant on digital technologies and where data has become one of the most valuable resources, the importance of robust data centre connectivity cannot be overstated.