A data centre like Stellium is a physical facility where organisations (our customers) house their critical IT applications and data to run their business. It’s essentially the brain of a company and serves as the central repository for the storage, management, and dissemination of data and information. Data centres are fundamental for the continuity of daily operations and typically include redundant or backup components for power supply, data communication connections, environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire suppression), and various security and monitoring devices.
Data centres can be private owned and operated by a specific institution or business for their needs, or they can be provided by companies like Stellium that offer data halls for multiple company’s racks and servers. With the evolution of technology and environmental concerns, the design and requirements of data centres have become highly sophisticated, aiming to maintain high levels of uptime, efficient energy use, and robust security protocols.
What is a data centre and what does a typical data centre structure include?:
- Racks: These are the metal frame enclosures where servers, hard drives, and other equipment are mounted.
- Servers: These are high-power computers that run all the applications and databases necessary for companies day-to-day operations.
- Storage systems: These are devices such as SAN (Storage Area Network) systems where data is stored.
- Network Infrastructure: This includes routers, switches, firewalls, and Load Balancers, which help manage and direct data traffic.
- Cables: There’s a large amount of cabling required in a data centre to connect all the different pieces of hardware.
- Power Infrastructure: This includes power supplies, UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems, and generators to ensure a constant supply of electricity.
- Cooling Systems: These help keep the IT equipment at an optimal operating temperature, which is typically achieved via air conditioning.
- Security Measures: This includes both physical security measures like human security guards, surveillance cameras and access controls, as well as cyber security measures like firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
Are you looking for a data centre? Get in touch with Stellium today.